Aug 19 2013
It is pretty cold
today, but not freezing. There has been enough rain now to fill all the dams to
overflowing and the daffodils and jonquils are in full bloom. Edd and I make
use of any dry days and work at cleaning up the builders’ mess by the front
entrance. The idea is to get the new fences up and plant trees before summer
arrives.
I think we have found
a good retirement home for Dot. She is a large ginger coloured goat who is now
about ten years old. So far she is holding her own in the herd and looking good
but she would probably not cope with another winter under these conditions and
certainly not if she got pregnant. I thought she was too old to re-home but a
friend is happy to take her as an addition to her animals and provide the necessary
level of pampering. This is a great relief. I do not feel justified in keeping
unproductive animals but Dot has earner her place for so long that I would not
feel good at just letting her be pushed aside by the younger, fitter herd
members.
Edd has now completed
the tree week’s full time relief teaching he agreed to do and starts work
tomorrow doing one day a week maths coaching. His finger is still strapped up
but he has been able to do a lot more on the farm recently. Today we brought
second hand fencing panels so that we can use them to replace the gates that
are currently being used for goat yards. We need the gates to put in the new
paddocks as they get fenced off.
We are fencing off a
corner by the road between us and our new neighbour in the James’ place. Then
we can hopefully put up a screen of trees before he starts on building a house
and maintain our own privacy. Also in the fenced off section I plan to plant
stone pines. I have not found many for sale but I have some seeds that I am
hoping I can grow trees from. There is so much to do that I have not started on
this project yet.
Last week Ollie had
his ninth Birthday celebration at Bo’s place and the family gathered to wish
him well. Al was very sad that his two boys did not come but Pi made a special
effort to drop in on her way back from work. The big news is that she and Al
are now engaged but they have not made any wedding plans yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment