Monday 15.1.18
Food is very plentiful
just now. Today Edd and I ate
sweet corn, cucumber and lettuce for lunch and I have been talking bucket loads
of zucchinis to Bo so she can make preserves for the restaurant. The amazing thing is that the grass is still
fairly green. Even the paddock we got hay from last night was green
underneath. Usually at this time
of year everything is colourless and burnt crispy.
I wonder if this is
part of the climate change experience.
We hear that America is having cold storms like we saw in the movie “the
day after Tomorrow’ and California has killer mud slides where the winter fires
removed all the vegetation. We know
all about this because we had a river through our property after the bush fires
removed all the vegetation on the hills. Our river was very wide and had black
waves that carried away whole trees.
Luckily our house was well clear of the danger.
The goats, not being
prone to speculation, are loving the odd conditions. They come home every night looking alarmingly round. They are all beginning to look glossy
in their new summer coats now that the cashmere undercoat and dry faded winter
hair has dropped out. Milk
production is staying up but there is a reduction in the cheese yield that is
normal for this time of year. The
tomatoes are large but still green, so I expect they will be the next glut I
have to process.
The best news is that
we now have a shed full of hay.
Various friends and family helped cart the bales and stack them in the
shed. How amazing it is to have people
like this around. The teenagers
kept their distance and stayed glued to the virtual world but they are missing
out. Hay making is a time to show
your strength and skill and feel good about being part of a group effort.
No comments:
Post a Comment