who's who

  • Al, eldest son
  • Bo, our daughter
  • Bobby, Jjj's partner
  • Dani, Waynes partner
  • Ell, waynes daughter
  • Indi, Al's eldest daughter
  • Jjj, our youngest son.
  • Morren, Bo's eldest son
  • Ollie, Bo's younger son
  • Pip Al's Al's wife
  • Si, Bo's daughter
  • Simon, Bo's husband
  • Skiddy the positrack skid stear loader
  • Ti, Al's younger son
  • Wayne our second son,

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Are you kidding



28.8.2019

Goats never consider our convenience about when they give birth. In fact, sometimes it seems as if they deliberately choose the most difficult time possible.  I got up early on Saturday morning so that I could have the milking done by the time the permaculture group arrived, but Rani had twin girls. She would probably have managed fine, but Erin had got involved and kidnapped them. This meant that I had to milk Rani and bottle feed the kids to make sure that they actually got some colostrum in the first few hours of their life. Edd had to go and meet the students in Yarra Glen and then we had to show them around and feed them a morning tea with cheese tasting so it was not until they all went off to see tender break farm after lunch that we had time to build a pen and reunite the babies with their own mother.

Today Edd is teaching at the High school all day and the next two goats have gone into labour. Eden gave birth fairly easily to two huge buck kids, but Dorcas is doing it harder this afternoon. I have come down for a cup of tea because she is not far enough along for me to help her yet and it is agony to watch her struggling. I suppose we are lucky that they did not kid at the weekend when we had 24 r so guests staying.

Actually, the weekend was fun.  I cooked up a feast for everyone on Saturday night. People were very polite, and it was only after I said it was OK that various bottles were extracted from cars and the party got going.  Graeme came over from Healesville because this is his class and Indi, Ben and baby A joined us too. Ben’s family have a small bakery where they cook delicious sour dough bread and we ordered several loaves that they delivered for us. Everyone seemed very happy with the food we provided, and we found places for everyone to sleep the night. 

 Luckily it was sunny in the morning, so the house was warm and welcoming. We made a cooked breakfast and then everyone had to leave to go to Graeme’s place for the day. If it wasn’t for the goats kidding, I would now be very relaxed.

18..8.19

The air felt and smelt of spring for the first time this year. Yesterday the rain finally ceased, and we had a warm sunny day. This morning it was even warmer, but the chill is back tonight. The dry weather was most helpful because we were able to clear everything out of the old site office donga and clean it inside and out. Everyone has been dumping excess gear there for years now.  We had to remove bins and bins of old clothes, a spare car wheel, coils of barbed wire and endless pots, jars and IT goods.  Some things we just couldn’t identify.

It is a great relief to have everything dealt with and the extra room it gives us.  We are expecting 26 or so people to stay next weekend on a field trip for their permaculture design course, so every spare space we can get is important.  Next I have to organise food for everyone, but it all seems possible now we have the donga sorted. We still have loads of pumpkins and heaps of meat in the freezer. The wind has brought down oranges and mandarins that I have collected up for breakfast fruit too.  At this stage I have no idea if they are vegan, vegetarian or what, but I usually make an array of dishes to cater for all comer.

Bo is having terrible car problems. Her mechanic had totally failed to get the car going right so last week Edd took it to our man.  He found odd foam through the engine and sensors not working. After a week he got it back to normal but a day later it was playing up again.  I have been very blessed with my little old Toyota corolla, I hope it will last out until electric  cars become the norm.

No comments: