who's who

  • Al, eldest son
  • Bo, our daughter
  • Bobby, Jjj's partner
  • Dani, Waynes partner
  • Ell, waynes daughter
  • Indi, Al's eldest daughter
  • Jjj, our youngest son.
  • Morren, Bo's eldest son
  • Ollie, Bo's younger son
  • Pip Al's Al's wife
  • Si, Bo's daughter
  • Simon, Bo's husband
  • Skiddy the positrack skid stear loader
  • Ti, Al's younger son
  • Wayne our second son,

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Easter celebrations and preparing for winter

                                                We have had the drives all repaired and re-stoned




 18.4.2022.

 

It is raining today after a long spell of very dry weather. It was hot and sunny yesterday and we all went to Bo’s house for Easter Sunday lunch. Bo’s parents in law had caught some trout at a trout farm and Simon prepared them with brining and light smoking which made for a delicious feed.  We ate alfresco at the long table on her roofed patio and drank beautiful wines.

 

Edd, who had a hip replacement just over a week ago felt well enough to come and join in.  He had the operation on Wednesday afternoon and left hospital on Friday morning so it was a very quick stay. His leg is still a bit swollen but he seems to be improving every day now, which is a big relief to us all. Luckily with the season changing the goats can now be milked once a day by hand. I have started making the hard cheeses that work best as we get the thicker winter milk.

 

The tomatoes have finished and I have dug them all out in order to plant more winter crops. The beans are nearly over too but the pumpkins are about ready to harvest. Lots of lettuce have sprouted from seeds the last lot left behind and we are getting cucumbers from another self-seeded plant.  The fig tree produces more fruit than we can handle and the pomegranates are all going bright red.

 

I have been pretty busy with Edd out of action but I have found time to do some sketches of gum leaves.  I am trying to learn the names of the ones we have here but it is not easy, especially as some of the leaves are too high up to even see well!   Gum trees also hybridise which makes it all hard.  I have been checking round the edges of our land and much to my joy have discovered that two of the fern trees are still alive. The big group in our north corner all died after the fires and there is no sign of any new ones growing to replace them.

 

The goats and the deer have eaten out most of the blackberries that made the gullies impenetrable.  It is now possible to walk along the dry creek bed and see what is going on.  The creek bed has developed hollows and wash outs of gravel. I have not seen any signs of gold though it has been found here. The days I have walked round everything was looking very dry so I am glad that we are having a day of rain now.

No comments: