who's who

  • Al, eldest son
  • Bo, our daughter
  • Bobby, Jjj's partner
  • Dani, Waynes partner
  • Ell, waynes daughter
  • Indi, Al's eldest daughter
  • Jjj, our youngest son.
  • Morren, Bo's eldest son
  • Ollie, Bo's younger son
  • Pip Al's Al's wife
  • Si, Bo's daughter
  • Simon, Bo's husband
  • Skiddy the positrack skid stear loader
  • Ti, Al's younger son
  • Wayne our second son,

Saturday, October 29, 2011

time to relax

30.10.11

BUILDING NEWS

It is raining yet again. This time I am actually rather glad. It has given Edd and I the chance of a rare days relaxation. Last Friday, completely to our surprise the waterproof mob turned up and completed their work and the first truckload of sand stone arrived for the cladding. Dion and Edd could not put up any more roofing iron because it was blowing an almighty gale. Dion sat on his roof and added more screws. This seemed a totally appropriate approach top the conditions. I am so glad the big gum tree has gone.

Unsecured stuff all blew everywhere. All the bin lids in the shed set off for a holiday but they fortunately avoided crashing into our cars as they exited. The swing seat blew over and ended up twisted over the ruin’s back wall. The stone deliveryman had come a day early because like us he was aware that the wind was bringing in more rain. He had the longest truck we have had here so far because he had a forklift on the back. He helped us by shifting the out door paver pallets that were too close to the building.

Al came on Saturday. This was good because I wanted to discuss the lights and other such stuff. We have ordered the kitchen benches but I was still not sure about whether a table or an island bench would be best to complete the area. I realised that we needed to be clear about this so we could place the light fittings correctly.

With Al’s help and some chalk marks on the floor we agrees on a correct position and size but what of the height? When Al showed me some suggested designs I saw that it was possible to make a piece of furniture that could be raised or lowered to the desired height Nothing like keeping your options open.

OTHER NEWS

The poor animals are once again hating the shifts in temperature. The sick lamb is a lot better but the goats are moulting and have no protection. Edd and I have put the donga heater on again and shut the windows. Opening or shutting windows is an effort. They have to be opened from outside and are often too stiff for me to work.

Tonight we have a party at Bo’s place for Simon’s birthday. Recently I discovered that I still had Lady Mary’s recipe for Anchovy biscuits so I have made some for the party. I think I will add less anchovies next time but two tins were stated and as my anchovies were in a huge glass jar I just had to guess the amount.

I am disadvantaged by having lost all my recipe books in the fires. I had collected recipes from relatives and friends for years and carefully preserved them. I mostly cook by seeing what food I can find in the garden and using the herbs and spices to hand but just sometime I like to remember the past. Talking of which, Bo has suggested we do a repeat of our first Xmas meal here. We ate crayfish and Stilton by fire light under our old shed roof and watched the full moon rise over Hargreaves Hill. We had not yet built the old house and were sort of camping out on the land here. This might be a really lovely way to start life in our new home.

No comments: