17.4.2012
BUILDING NEWS
What a difference a day makes! Yesterday Pat connected the light circuits and suddenly everything changed. We were managing quite well without lights but it looks a whole lot better with them. I rushed round taking photos trying to capture the feeling.
The morning started early because I got up at 7am to put another sealing layer on the floor. The theory was that it would have time to dry before anyone arrived but Pat came at 7.30 so that didn’t work. I was pretty glad that I was up and dressed anyway. Edd spent all day waterproofing the parapet. The renderers came back today so he wanted to be well ahead of them. He is still at it today but nearing the end. It is a job everyone hates. Steve has been working on the insulation and is gradually getting that job done. He is not here today but hopes he can finish it off tomorrow.
I was sent off early this morning with the ute to pick up an oversized cardboard toilet roll centre to line the hole for the gas cylinder. This time we are having an underground gas tank so that it has no chance of becoming a bomb as the others did in the bush fire. We hope that John will come and dig the hole later today and then we can fit in the special canister the tank fits into. Once we get gas on I can cook down there. I need the plumbers back to fit the kitchen sink and check the wood stove but that may happen later this week too.
Whilst I was out I called in at a builders bargain place I had found on the Internet and got a mirror cabinet for the bathroom. I had planned to buy one from Ikea but the size I wanted only came in foil covered board and I wanted something that would last a bit better. I found one in the shop that has an oak look instead of plain white. I think the chance of finding one in elm finish is too low to consider, so I was pleased with this find.
OTHER NEWS
Yesterday our eldest Grandchild, India, turned 18 and became an adult in the eyes of society. Sadly, the celebration has been spread between her parents’ households, but we had the party for our side of the family in the new house. Bo cooked up a storm and arrived with the Mexican feast and I worked on the cake and decorated the room. Edd continued to work on the roof but he did come down once it got dark and everyone arrived.
The lights came in very handy and we rather let fling with them indoors and out. A shocking waste of energy, but all in a good cause. The house got a good test as there were 20 people but at least six were very young kids and an equal number were teenagers or there abouts. Al came with Pia and Steff from Warburton, but Simon had gone into town for the beer awards so Bo was on her own again. How she managed all the cooking and three kids is a mystery. Wayne was also on his own and Edd and I were the only oldies.
The house managed the space for everyone to sit together at the table and then to have smaller spaces for private conversations afterwards. It all worked really well but we still need the soft furnishings to deaden the noise a bit. I have not even looked for curtain fabric yet. The thing we need most is a toilet door. It is all a bit public with no doors but luckily no one complained.
No comments:
Post a Comment